Terrapins and Cal State Northridge Play 110 Minutes for 1-1 Tie
#6 Rich Costanzo slides and strips the ball away from a Cal State player during the Terrapins 1-1 tie with Cal State Northridge at Ludwig Field in College Park MD on October 21, 2007. Christopher Blunck/DC Sports Box
The Maryland Terrapins and the Cal State Northridge Matadors played a drag-out physical soccer game at Ludwig Field in College Park MD this afternoon, and both teams walked away with a 1-1 tie.  The matchup took place on an unusually sunny and warm late October afternoon with 1,576 fans present.

The Matadors picked up their first and only goal of the afternoon quickly by capitalizing on a Terrapin mistake that occurred off of a missed clear by keeper Thorne Holder.  Holder's clearing attempt sent the ball low and up the middle to wide open Matador Moy Gomez.  Gomez grabbed the ball and served it to a breaking Clegg on the left who was poised for the shot.  Clegg's show beat a shocked Holder and put the Matadors up 1-0 just 1:02 into the game.

The Terrapins responded quickly off of a 3-man run that featured #17 Jeremy Hall, #22 Rodney Wallace, and #6 Rich Costanzo.  Hall started off on the right hand side and dished forward to Costanzo.  Costanzo dribbled briefly before crossing to a breaking Wallace on the left wing.  Wallace was well within the box and Costanzo's cross went  Wallace's header beat Matador keeper Kevin Guppy and the Terps knotted the game at 1-1 2:16 minutes into the game.
The tally stood at 1 a piece for the remainder of regulation and into double overtime, but the match featured several pinch saves by Maryland's keeper Thorne Holder and Cal State's keeper Kevin  The Terrapins mustered a total of 22 shots during the game to Cal State's 10, and out-cornered the Matadors 13-4.

The game was also heavy in fouls and penalties.  Cal State led the way with 26 total fouls to Maryland's 13.  6 cards were issued to Cal State, including 3 red.  A hard tackle by Cal State's Fergie Agwu resulted in a red card that resulted in protests and challenges by the Cal State coaching staff.  The protests escalated, and the referee issued a red card to team manager Terry Davila, who was escorted off the premises by Maryland officials.

The Terrapins had several good looks at the goal but failed to find the back of the net.  Most looks came off of corners sent in by junior Graham Zusi.  30 minutes into the match Zusi found Omar Gonzalez inside the box.  Gonzalez headed the ball and Kevin Guppy made a diving save that kept the score tied.

Billy Cortes almost gave the Terps a gamewinner on a Zusi corner 32 minutes into the game when he managed to find an open angle on the keeper.  Cortes set up about 10 feet out from the left side post during the Zusi corner.  His header missed the goal and went just inches to the left.

The biggest scoring opportunity for the Terps arrived in the second half with 38 minutes left in regulation.  Zusi's corner was centered to a well guarded Wallace who deflected the ball.  The ball bounced around in the box when sophomore Drew Yates settled on it and fired a shot.  Yate's shot went left of a diving Kevin Guppy but had the keeper beaten.  The shot was slightly off and the game remained tied at 1 a piece.

The second overtime was fast paced and featured 5 shots by Maryland and 3 shots by Cal State.  Cal State nearly walked out of College Park with a win when Devin Deldo sent in a shot that bounced off the top crossbar.  It bounced back down and was cleared right in front of keeper Will Swaim.

The Terps had 2 free kicks that were awarded to them in the closing minutes of the second overtime but failed to convert on either of them.  On the second kick Stephen King's shot bounced off the Matador defenders and landed right in front of Costanzo.  Costanzo shot with but Guppy came up with the save.

The Terrapins are now 6-4-4 on the season and take on Georgetown on Tuesday night at 7:30pm at Ludwig Field.  They are also in town this Friday evening when they face off against ACC opponent NC State at 8pm.