Israeli airstrikes kill dozens in Damascus – Iranian Revolutionary Guard officers among dead | Foreign countries

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which monitors the war in Syria, said 11 people were killed in an Israeli airstrike in the Syrian capital Damascus.

Head of the organization By Rami Abdel Rahman Eight of the dead were Iranians, two Syrians and one Lebanese. The head of the UK-based organization added that none of the dead were civilians.

Earlier, the organization said eight people were killed in the attack.

Iran's Revolutionary Guard said Brigadier Generals Mohammad Reza Jahad And Muhammad Hadi Hajriahim Also five more officers were killed in this attack.

Zahedi, 65, has long run Iran's covert military operations in Syria and Lebanon.

The attack targeted the Consular Service building attached to the Iranian embassy in Damascus. An AFP reporter at the scene said the building was completely damaged in the attack. Its main embassy building remained intact, according to Syrian state news agency SANA.

Iran's Ambassador to Syria Hossain Akbari And his family members were not injured in the attack. Akbar said earlier on Monday that up to seven people were killed in the attack. Rescue workers are still searching for people trapped in the rubble.

According to Akbar, the attack was carried out by F-35 fighter jets. The ambassador vowed that Iran would retaliate against Israel.

The Lebanese militant group Hezbollah also claimed Israel was funding the attack.

“Certainly this crime will not happen without punishment and retribution for the enemies,” Hezbollah said in its statement.

Israel has not commented on the attack

Reuters reported that the Syrian interior minister and the Iranian foreign minister were seen at the scene after the attack.

See also  Subo warned Sweden

Foreign Minister of Iran Hossein Amir-Abdullahian He said Israel violated “all international agreements” with the strike.

– [Israelin pääministeri Benjamin] Netanyahu Amir-Abdullahian said in a statement that the Zionists had lost their mental balance because of the defeat in Gaza and not achieving their ambitious goals.

Also the Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal Meghdad Condemning the attack, he said many people were killed. Syrian Defense Minister Ali Mahmood Abbas For his part, he said that Israeli warplanes came from the direction of the Golan Heights and that all the people inside the building were killed or injured during the attack.

Also, the Russian Foreign Ministry condemned the attack.

– We call on the Israeli leadership to stop the provocative armed violence in Syria and the territory of neighboring countries, the ministry said.

Israel said it would not comment on the attack. Newspaper The New York Times However, four Israeli officials confirmed to an anonymous newspaper that Israel was behind the attack (NYT). However, authorities have not confirmed Zahid's death.

A member of Iran's Revolutionary Guards told the NYT that Israel targeted a meeting where Iranian intelligence officials and Palestinian militants were discussing the situation in the Gaza war.

Israeli officials who spoke to the NYT said the building that was attacked was not under diplomatic protection because it was used by Iran's Revolutionary Guards as their headquarters. According to officials, this made the building a military target.

In the United States, the White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said the President Joe Biden A person aware of the attack and his inner circle at the White House are looking into the matter.

See also  When family life oppresses the father, the relationship can be put to the test - what to do?

Israel has stepped up its offensive in Syria since the war against Hamas, the Palestinian militant group that controls the Gaza Strip, began last October. According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Israel killed more than 50 people in Syria over the weekend in an attack against the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.

Sources: AFP, AP, Reuters

Correction on April 1, 2024 at 8:50 PM. The Syrian interior minister was seen at the scene of the attack, not the Syrian foreign minister as previously written in the story.

This story was updated on April 1, 2024 at 11:57 p.m. by a Russian Foreign Ministry statement with additional information about those killed in the attack and on April 2. At 2:10 a.m. with a statement from Hezbollah.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *