Virginia Tech Slips Past Maryland in Overtime as Terps Lose 2-1
#13 Annesia Faulkner streaks towards the goal with a Hoakie defender close behind during the Terrapins 2-1 overtime loss to Virginia Tech at Ludwig Field in College Park MD on October 28, 2007. Christopher Blunck/DC Sports Box
Hopes for post-season play ended this evening in the 94th minute of play as the Virginia Tech Hokies edged past the Maryland Terrapins. With their loss the Terrapins are now out of contention for entry into the ACC conference.

The Terps played a competitive match this evening and managed to take 7 shots in the first half and 9 in the second.  The Terps were also present on the corner post, sending in 3 kicks in the first half.

In the end it was some creative keeping by an unlikely player that made the difference for the Hokies.  Sophomore Forward Robin Chidester stepped in and played 78 minutes as keeper for the Hokies and came up with 4 huge saves in the second half that prevented Maryland from scoring.  Chidester was introduced to the position of keeper after starting keeper Ashley Ownes was injured during a collision with Maryland forward Annesia Faulkner and backup keeper Mallory Kimsey was taken off.

The Terps got things off on the right foot with an early goal by Nataly Arias.  A free kick from 40 yards out by Ashly Kennedy found its way inside the inner Tech box.  Arias tried to get a foot  on it but was unable to find the ball.  The ball bounced around  turf while Hokie defenders attempted to clear and Maryland  attempted to score.  The ball ended up bouncing off Arias' right hip  and into the goal.
The score stood at 1-0 going into halftime.

The second half featured offensive scoring opportunities by both teams.  The Hokies nearly scored the equalizer 10 minutes into the 2nd half when a backwards kick by Emily Jukich just barely missed the Terrapin goal and bounced off the right post.

Jukich managed to find the back of the net 5 minutes later.  Marika Gray crossed the ball to Julian Johnson who took a shot.  Maryland keeper Mary Casey leapt to make the save, but the deflection bounced right to Jukich.  Jukich sent the ball in and the Hokies knotted the game at 1-1.

Maryland almost took a 2-1 lead with 23 minutes left in regulation when senior and team captain #10 Ashly Kennedy intercepted a Hokie pass at midfield.  The Hokie defense was pushed up far forward, and Kennedy's unexpected interception caught the midfielders off guard. Kennedy dribbled through an off-balance midfield section and headed up the left hand side of the field.  She shot from 16 yards out but unfortunately just missed the upper right hand corner of the goal.

Overtime only lasted 4 minutes as the Hokies wasted no time in applying offensive pressure.  With Gray on the left hand side of the field, Johnson raced up the middle.  Gray landed the cross perfectly in front of Johnson who got in front of the Maryland defense and  the one-shot.  Johnson's ball found the left hand side of the net and beat a diving Mary Casey.

The Terps will attempt to wrap up the season on a high note when they take on Boston College on Thursday evening, and NC State on Sunday afternoon.